WMO Program is the scholarship established by MOE of China for World Meteorological Organization (WMO) to sponsor international students to study and conduct research in meteorology in China.
I Supporting Categories, Duration, Instruction Language, Institutions and Majors
1. Supporting Category
This program supports undergraduate students, master students and doctoral students.
The scholarship covers both major study and Chinese language study, as specified in the Admission Letter. It support undergraduates for no more than 5 academic years, master students for no more than 3 academic years, or doctoral students for no more than 4 academic years.
3. Instruction Language
Undergraduate scholarship recipients must register for Chinese-taught credit courses. Students of Chinese-taught programs without adequate Chinese proficiency must take one-year Chinese language/preparatory study. Graduate students must register for English-taught credit courses.
The two designated universities for this program are Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology and Hohai University.
The majors are limited to Meteorology, Hydrology and Water Resources Monitoring & Management.
II Scholarship Coverage
This is a partial scholarship which covers a tuition waiver, accommodation, living expenses and comprehensive medical insurance. Please refer to the introduction of CGS for details of each item.
III where and When to Apply
Where to Apply
You should apply to WMO Secretariat.
When to Apply
You need to apply between early November and next February. Please consult the WMO Secretariat for the specific deadline of each year.
1. Applicants must be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, and be in good health
2. Requirements for applicants’ degree and age:
l be a high school graduate under the age of 25 when applying for the undergraduate programs;
l be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for the master’s programs;
l be a master’s degree holder under the age of 40 when applying for the doctoral programs.
V Application Procedure
Step 1 - Apply to WMO Secretariat for CGS opportunity.
Step 2 - Apply to your target university for the Pre-admission Letter once recommended by WMO Secretariat as an eligible candidate.
Step 3 - Complete the online application procedure at CGS Information Management System for International Students (Visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or and click “Application Online” to log in), submit online the completed Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship, and print a hard copy. You should consult WMO Secretariat for Instructions of CGS Information Management System for International Students and Agency Number.
Step 4 - Submit all your application documents to WMO Secretariat before the deadline.
Only applications of recommended candidates from WMO Secretariat will be considered. Candidates holding the Pre-admission Letter will be placed in the host university; those without the Pre-admission Letter should accept CSC’s placement of university.
VI Application Documents (in duplicate)
1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship（written in Chinese or English）;
2. The Notarized highest diploma;
Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations. Prospective diploma recipients must submit official document issued by your current school to prove your current student status or expected graduation date.
3. Undergraduate applicants must submit transcripts of their high school graduation examinations. Other applicants must submit their academic transcripts. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
4. A Study Plan or Research Proposal (written in Chinese or English);
This should be a minimum of 200 words for undergraduate students, and 800 words for graduate students.
5. Two Recommendation Letters (written in Chinese or English);
Applicants for the graduate programs must submit two recommendation letters signed by professors or associate professors.
6. Valid Documents of Your Legal Guardians in China (only required for applicants under the age of 18);7. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (photocopy). (The original copy will be kept by yourself and the form is uniformly printed by Chinese healthy quarantine departments. It must be written in English, can be downloaded from http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or http://www.campuschina.org);
The physical examinations must cover all of the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered as invalid. Please carefully plan your physical examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months.
7. The copy of Pre-admission Letter from designated Chinese university (if available);
8. The copy of valid HSK Certificate (if available).
All documents should be bound together on top left corner.
You should submit TWO sets of bound documents.
No application documents will be returned.
VII Placement & Scholarship Confirmation
1. Application documents of recommended candidates from WMO will be considered by CSC for eligibility and qualification. Ineligible or incomplete applications will not be considered.
2. Qualified applications will be sent to universities for placement. Based on various factors, such as the different scholarship funding requirements of every country, the host university's capacity, study length and applicants’ criteria, CSC reserves the right to make necessary adjustments/changes to the candidate’s host university, field of study, supporting categories and duration of scholarship. Host universities confirm the admission. Applications enclosed with the Pre-admission Letter will be sent to the universities who issued that Letter for placement confirmation.
3. After placement confirmation by Chinese universities, scholarship recipients will get Chinese government scholarship to study in China with approval by CSC. Each scholarship recipient will be granted with no more than one scholarship.
4. CSC sends the List of Scholarship Recipients, Letter of Admission, and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201) to WMO Secretariat before June 15th. Then the WMO Secretariat will send these documents to the scholarship recipients.
5. Scholarship recipients shall not allowed to change their host university, field of study, or duration of study stipulated on the Admission Letter after their coming to China.
6. Scholarship will not be reserved if scholarship recipient cannot register before the registration deadline.
VIII Contact Information of WMO Secretariat
Education and Fellowships Division
Development and Regional Activities Department
World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
Address: 7 bis, Avenue de la Paix, Case postale 2300, CH 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland.
Tel: +41 22 730 8156
Fax: +41 22 730 8181
IX Division of International Students Affairs, China Scholarship Council
Address: Division of International Students Affairs, China Scholarship Council
F13, Building A3, No.9 Chegongzhuang Avenue, Xicheng District, Beijing, P. R. China.